11/15/2004

A Saint Here on Earth

I have an aunt, her name is Sally, and I consider her not only my Aunt, but a surrogate mother figure to me. She is the closest thing to a saint than anybody I have ever met or read about in my life.

Sally is now 83 years old and is currently in the hospital from complications from her heart , which is very weak. I pray that they get her feeling better so we can have her around for as long as possible. So many people love her, and have learned so much from her .

She has been married to my Uncle Ed for over 62 years, and soon after they married he was drafted into the U.S. Army and sent to the Pacific in World War II. She worked during the war at Chrysler, Dodge Main sewing seat covers. She learned from her long time friends how to cook, and shared their life experiences, and she became a real special person.

After the war, she and her new husband were very hard working people, and are charitable, sometimes to excess. They have had a comfortable life and have helped so many people with their generous caring nature. Not only have they helped my Mother and my Dad, (her younger brother) to get their their first house, they have aided and guiding my sick Mom, myself, and my daughters, as well as the generous gifts they have given in time of need. They take joy in helping anyone they love or are in need.

They are charitable to church, animal protection societies, and those less fortunate than them. They have long been sending huge packages of clean, pressed, and repaired good used clothes to 3 families of cousins and their kids who live in Poland and which she has not seen in many years. They correspond with her regularily, for years. Sally knows all their sizes and always tucks in soap, little toys for the kids, and cookies and candy treats, and has sent money for operations or other aid to these families. She sends things that are hard to find in Europe to make their life easier.

They have rescued and nursed many hurt or lost animals with gentle care over many years. My Uncle captured and released into parks many wild animals who lost their homes when a builder tore down the forest behind their house. Sally took in two dogs who had been abused by former owners and gave them a good life to their natural death. They even feed the birds daily with scrap food and seed. They preach how precious all life is.

Many relatives have asked for their aid over the years, and Sally and Ed have actually volunteered their selves to paint, or repair their old houses, or help them see to funerals and personal financial needs with no compensation offered or taken.

Sally has taken in her only son who was recently divorced after 12 years of mariage. She gives up her bed for the couch, so that her only grandson has a place to sleep when he comes for bi-weekly visits with his Dad.

This woman, and this man, have been everything for me and my family , with spiritual guidance, moral support, their generosity, and their life example. I only hope to be half the example of goodness and giving that Jesus preached, and that Sally has taught me a person can be.

4 comments:

♥Caroline♥ said...

I love her very much...she has helped me when i thought there was no hope! I hope she lives a very long time.

wendy said...

SHE HAS HELPED ME TOO ALONG TIME AGO AND I WILL NEVER FORGET IT LOVE HER ALWAYS AND I HOPE TO SEE IN HEAVEN WITH ME,I DON'T SEE MUCH AS I LIKE TO MOSTLY ON HOLIDAYS,SHE HAS SO MANY PEOPLE COUNTING ON HER ,THATS WHY SHE IS STILL HERE WITH US TODAY

wendy said...

SHe is my aunt also and has help me too,in the past.I will never forget it and will always rember what she did for me.I haven't seen her lately but I'm shore she is doing Gods work.I see her mostly around christmas and injoy spending that time with her.She is so busy helping the family out,Thanks and loves

wendy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.